Monday, April 16, 2012

A Different Sorta Rag Quilt....

So I came across a BRILLIANT tutorial online for an Heirloom style Chenille Quilt over at Aesthetic Nest and I fell in love instantly. I loved it because I knew that even the most inexperienced seamstress could do this and have something LOVELY to give as a gift, or even keep for themselves. I also knew I had to give this tutorial a try....except I had no Chevron printed cotton. Hmmm, what to do. So I improvised and what came of it is beautiful.

I'll do a basic outline here of what I did, but sadly, I have no photos.

Step one: Gather the materials.
Two spools of thread (maybe three!)
Pins
Quilt binding. Make your own or buy it prepackaged. If you do prepackaged, you'll need two packs.
You'll need 4 yards of fabric.
1 yard of your print and 3 yards of flannel, in 1 yard cuts and if you want, you can do three different colors too.

Step Two: Stack that fabric!
Pretty printed cotton on bottom, face down. Then place your flannels on top of that, stacked neatly. Then pin generously. I mean it. PIN IT.

Step Three: Find your bias.
Bias is a fancy term for "the diagonal" or the cross threading in fabric. Basically, it's at a 45 degree angle. You can find it by taking a corner of your fabric stack, and folding in half diagaonally. Press with your iron or use a disappearing ink fabric marker to mark it.
(I did not do this on my quilt, and it was a mistake. I made it work, but if you're an inexperienced sewer, find your bias)

Step Four: SEW! (GET READY, LOTS of sewing here.....)
Using a straight stitch, sew down your diagonal mark. Then, using that diagonal stitch as a guide, move over 1/2 an inch and stitch. You can use your presser foot as a guide. Keep sewing, all the way across your fabric. It'll create the quilted look.

Step Five: Make your cuts.
On the backside (flannel side), take a pair of scissors and cut thru the top two layers of flannel in between your seams.

Step Six: Bind your quilt.
Sew on your binding however you like it sewn.

Step Seven:
Wash and dry your blanket and snuggle up in the cuddly-ness. Is that a word? Nah? It is now!

Here's mine: Once you ogle it, I'll tell you what I did wrong and how I fixed it.

Photobucket

On my quilt, you'll see my fabric had stripes on it. I followed those stripes. But the stripes were an inch wide. So when I made the cuts in my flannel on the back, the fabric didn't fray like it should. This quilt reminded me of a rag quilt, but fully raggy on the back. I went with that in my mind and sat for hours clipping all those rows of flannel. When I pulled it out of the dryer, I was astonished and loved it anyway!!! It's SO plush and beautiful and purely divine softness.

So I don't think you can really do this blanket wrong. But if you've got questions head over to the blue link for Aesthetic Nest's tutorial above. And happy sewing :)

3 comments:

  1. Looks super soft! Divine! Did you have to clip threads off the flannel after drying? I've had some say if they don't get the bias the fray is a bit "stringy."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. I did it like I do my rag quilts, so I clipped the seams in lil tiny bits. Granted my lint trap was pretty much full of pink, but for the most part, it frayed perfectly!! Thank you for stopping by, Anneliese! Promise next time I will do it right! haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and what I meant by "It didn't fray properly" is that my seams were too far apart to not clip it.

      Delete